Monday, March 16, 2009

Manti Temple Wheat Bread


I've been trying a different recipe just about every week. While my family really likes the one with white flour "Honey Whole Wheat", I think it has too much white flour. This one is awesome and has a higher wheat flour ratio. I have been grinding Red Wheat for this on a coarser setting.

I was told that if you use local honey it helps lessen the severity of allergies once spring rolls in. I hope that is true.


This recipe is from Cookin' with Home Storage by Peggy Layton. A great book that I highly recommend. It literally has a recipe for everything. I don't really want to make my own yeast. It's so much easier to get the big package from Costco. But there is a recipe to do it.


Bread Recipe:

12 cups whole wheat flour

4 cups white flour

8 cups warm water

1 c. melted shortening

1 c. powdered milk

1 1/2 T salt

6 T honey

5 tsp. yeast


These are the steps I personally follow:

Put warm water (the hottest your tap water will get) into mixer. Add powdered milk, yeast, honey and salt. Start mixing. Add white flour and melted shortening. Gradually add wheat flour. Let it mix about 10 minutes. This isn't a very stiff dough. Let it rise until doubled in size. Spray bread pans with non-stick cooking spray. I get 4 large loaves.

Put dough in pans. You will need extra flour to do this because it is sticky dough.

Let rise no longer than 15 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. I bake all of the loaves at the same time and it works out great.

4 comments:

Karin said...

Thanks for all the personal insights! You're making your pioneer ancestors proud, I'm sure!

Annee said...

Is there a reason to use shortening instead of butter? Also, I don't grind my own wheat. Can I used wheat flour from the grocery store?

Thoughts?

Katie said...

I don't know about the shortening thing. It seems like melted shortening would be vegetable oil, doesn't it? I went and bought shortening and melted it even though I kept thinking I should just use veg. oil. If it didn't turn out it would be wasting a lot of flour. However, I think you should try it with butter( maybe 1/4 the recipe) and let us know how it is. That is often how even better recipes are born. As far as the wheat flour goes, you will totally be fine with store bought.

Juls Jems said...

Thanks for this recipe! I looked up "Manti Temple Wheat Bread" on the internet and it brought me to your blog. (A friend made me some and it was so good.) I just made it a few hrs. ago and it turned out so well and my kids loved it so much that I hurried and made another batch while I know how! It's in the oven. We'll have a lot to put in the freezer!
Thanks for explaining it so well.
I didn't have shortening and melted butter instead and it turned out great.