Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Shredded Pork Chili


Friday was our ward chili party and I signed up for chili not realizing it was a cook-off until the reminder email came in. Panic! I remembered that Laura made a successful batch of pumpkin chili last year, so I called for instructions. Knowing I was in a time crunch, she suggested I try what once won her a chili cook-off prize--Bear Creek's 'Darn Good' Chili mix, with added corn. Laura thinks they have altered the mix since she won with it, and not for the better. So, I decided to improvise.
I stuck a smallish 1.5 lb. pork roast (comes in a 3 pack at Costco) into our crockpot on high with one large onion, diced. About 4 hours later the pork was ready to shred with a fork. In a large pot I mixed the Bear Creek chili according to the package directions also adding 2 cans of diced tomatoes undrained, and about 2 cups frozen sweet corn. After simmering for 30 minutes, I added it to the crockpot with the pork, a little garlic, some salt & pepper, and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
It was excellent with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Carter really liked it and he is my pickiest culinary critic.

1 comments:

Rachel F. said...

Wow I've never thought to do a pork chili but this sounds great! I'll add it to my costco list...