Monday, April 21, 2008

Cauliflower Soup

In an effort to try to include more (and different) vegetables in my diet, I tried various cauliflower soup recipes. I have settled on this one as my favorite. Although it's not QUITE as good as the Wisconsin Cauliflower soup at Zupus, I'm hoping it's a nutritional superior since it has less cheese.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (maybe a little less)
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry sherry


DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in cauliflower, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor, or in the pot using an immersion blender. Return to low heat and stir in milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and sherry. Heat through. Add cheese to taste.

After the final heat through I let the soup sit for a bit to thicken before eating. Then I add a little cheese and peas to my portion - but I add peas to ALMOST everything :-) The final product has an orange tint from the carrots but they don't overpower the taste.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I've definitely got to try this!

Karin said...

Huh- we need to do soup more often, this looks tastey.