Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wild Rice Pilaf



2 C low-sodium Chicken broth

2 bay leaves

8 sprigs thyme

1 C wild rice, rinsed and drained

3 Tbs unsalted butter

2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine

1 Onion, minced

Salt

1 1/2 C long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained

2 1/4 C water

3/4 C dried cranberries

3/4 C pecans, toasted and chopped coarse

2 Tbs minced fresh parsley

Pepper

1. bring broth, bay leaves, and 4 sprigs of the thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the drained wild rice and return to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the wild rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid, 35-40 minutes. Drain the rice and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Return the wild rice to the pot and cover to keep warm.


2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, and 1 1/2 Tsp salt. Cook until the veggies are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the drained white rice. Cook until the edges begin to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the water, cranberries, and remaining 4 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 17 minutes. Transfer the pot to a cold burner or trivet and let the rice stand for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and discard the thyme sprigs.


3. Combine the cooked wild rice and white rice, toasted pecans, and parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


I typically don't put much effort into side dishes, because I don't have time for sides and a main dish with all my little ankle biting helpers. But when all I had to do was squirt a little EVOO and lemon onto some salmon, I decided to break open the cook book and this is what I found. It is from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (which Jimmy gave me for my birthday and I'm loving). I had to do a little altering with just the ingredients I had on hand, and I thought it still turned out yummy! (of course most meals do on fast Sunday...) So I used a box of Uncle Ben's wild rice and cooked the rice to the box directions (without the seasoning), and used ground thyme and omitted the pecans...

0 comments: